Monday, May 7, 2007

What's currently on/in my...

"Nightstand" (Vanya's baby bunk) to read: The Brothers Karamazov (to read while breastfeeding), Italian Folktales (to read to Vanya after breastfeeding); The Nursing Mother's Companion, and The Diaper-Free Baby
Library card to read to Nikita: Choo Choo by Virginia Lee Burton, Zen Shorts by Jon Muth, and Filipino Children's Favorite Stories
Knitting needles: Nothing. I can't knit while breastfeeding.
CD player: a collection of tunes from Russian cartoons.
Mind to decide: Whether or not to help comment on MIT's Freshman Evaluation Essays in June (for money, of course). As if I don't have enough on my plate.

Life is more than breastfeeding and resting. thankfully. I actually have the energy to cook quick dishes; this morning, I made seafood soup, which Igor really likes. Last week, I also made pork chops with braised red cabbage from Cook's Illustrated Best 30-minute Recipe; it turned out very well.

Vanya did pretty well at his one-month (!) appointment today. He weighs 7 1/2 lbs. He only gained 12 oz. since his last appointment 17 days ago (therefore, less than one ounce a day), but the doctor is not too worried because he's still on the same growth curve. As the doctor said, Vanya's "picked his growth curve", albeit the 6-7% growth curve. He jumped a couple of percentile points with his head circumference, though, from 15% to 25%. Trying to catch up with Nikita, I suppose, whose HC is 75%.

Will try to post a recent photo of Vanya soon. but don't hold your breath.