Last Friday, the school nurse visited Nikita's preschool class to talk about the parts of the body and the importance of hygiene. What did Nikita get out of this second part? "Mommy, you know, after you wash your hands, you should use a paper towel to turn off the faucet." I told him that that was good advice for when washing your hands in public, but not at home because the only people who use the sink are family members. As if we need to waste more paper towels.
As a follow-up to the nurse's visit, Igor took Nikita to lab yesterday because Nikita wanted to know what bacteria looked like. I found him tinkering with a microscope, but not bacteria. I asked him what bacteria look like, and he replied, "You know, mommy, bacteria are white and grow in a special soup." Accurate enough. He wanted to take some of the "soup" home, but we told him that wasn't a good idea.