On violins: Maybe it’s because of the increased classical music in the house, but Nikita has become obsessed with playing the piano. Sure, it’s just one more potential distraction during mealtimes (especially the mornings of schooldays), but he’s really taken to some of the tunes he’s given by his teacher. And his good visual and audio memory (he recognized the aria “Una furtiva lagrima” given one note, and a Saint Saen cello concerto at a kid’s concert we recently attended) makes it easy for him to memorize the pieces rather quickly. Getting him to play with a consistent rhythm, however, is another matter – but one his teacher says will come with time.
His increased interest in music prompted Igor to have Nikita try starting another instrument, the violin. I’m not sure how it will work out (he’s had only one lesson so far, and not much homework), but Nikita is fond of the playing with the instrument. So is Ivan, which means that the instrument cannot be taken out of the case unless either Igor or I are present. Because as I pointed out to Igor: the piano is hard to break, but the violin is.
On viruses: Nikita (or Igor) brought a new set of viruses into the house, and I finally succumbed to one this past week. Thankfully, it’s a mild virus (just sinuses), but it’s annoying breathing only through one nostril. The cold also made it difficult for me to watch the boys this past Wednesday, on the supposed snow day (we got less than 2”). The experience made me think that the inventor of valium must have gone through the same thing.
On valentines: This past week saw me helping Nikita prepare his valentines for school. As usual, he has to make a valentine for every kid in the classroom, but thankfully, only 10 children and 3 teachers (as opposed to 5 last year). And we weren’t “encouraged” to make homemade valentines, so I made my life easier by purchasing them from the store – with candies. Nikita chose them, however, which means that Wolverine is Nikita’s Valentine’s Day ambassador this year.
Otherwise, I’ve been insanely busy with work since the last week of January (Galina thankfully back in Boston). On top of lecturing, I’ve been attending to CDP matters (helping plan the two conferences in June, FINALLY getting out advertisements for our sabbatical, and volunteering to give a presentation next week), preparing for my TWO teaching conferences this spring (for one I’ll present research I did last semester; for the other, I’ll present a new project this semester – what was I thinking?), and lining up work and vacation rentals for the summer. At least I’m teaching the same four classes as last spring, and tinkering with only two of them. But really, I’m ready for the summer when I might be able to breathe again.