Q: Why did the germ cross the microscope?
A: To get to the other side.
The day also improved. After an Amanda Hesser-inspired breakfast to start the year, the boys and I went bowling and sledding; I also made it up to Igor by making ribs for dinner. Since the boys didn't have school the next day, we had a grand time at the Harvard Museum of Natural History (see earlier post) - definitely more engaging than the art or science museums.
Igor and I increased our efforts to encourage Nikita to read more: Igor found a Russian literature group for him to join, while I tried reading to Nikita regardless of when he arrives home from his other extracurricular activities. A Christmas gift of Mad Libs (from Nikita's godmother) also helped. Other highlights for Nikita this month included learning how to make scrambled eggs (he wrote down the recipe) and qualifying for the state chess championship after a tie-breaking series of blitz. Meanwhile, Ivan discovered the piano and drawing programs on the iPad, had a playdate and a swim in the pool when Nikita was at fencing tournaments, and watched "Mirror, Mirror" and "Hugo" with me. Both boys thoroughly enjoyed "The Avengers".
As for me, I took advantage of MIT's IAP by helping grade college essays for a week, and working on some side projects. For relaxation, I became obsessed with finding Xmas tree ornaments that represented the boys' activites (chess, fencing), featured ice cubes or s'mores, or involved quilling or needle felting. I don't think (or hope!) I'll ever acquire 3,000 ornaments.
Foodwise, I seemed to commemorate snow with split pea ham soup, but otherwise kept warm with the cocoa mix (with vanilla powder and cinnamon!) made by my younger brother's wife. We feasted on Epiphany, with waffles for breakfast, Russian turkey burgers for lunch, and lasagne and a Peppermint Pig for dinner. The pig will definitely appear on our table again (hopefully earlier) because it is not too sweet, but the "velvet" pouch is flimsy.
The climax of January for our family was a skiing trip in Jackson Hole, WY (photos here). The area was perfect: the skiing resort was near the airport (unlike CO), and Igor loved not having to drive through mountains (unlike UT). Igor worked on his telemarking skills; Nikita loved going down the moguls (which he called a "trampoline"); and Ivan enjoyed going up a ski lift for the first time. And I actually figured out how to do parallel turns!
Downhill skiing wasn't the only highlight. For example, we got to do some XC skiing. Ivan was a bit young for it, but Nikita was like a tank - skiing nearly 4 miles in the first day. The snow was perfect, and the scenery lovely. Igor and Nikita even got to see a bald eagle by the Snake River. We also loved the town of Jackson. The boys went crazy in the stores, buying rocks and bullet pens and knives (I, of course, got antler ornaments for the Xmas tree), and we got to see our first dog sled race. Back at home, we watched Russian movies and "Castle in the Sky," read Shadow of the Wind and The Wizard of Oz, and made lots of Rice Krispie Treats.
Finally, we loved the people - from the dog sled racer who once raced in Russia (and couldn't communicate with her dogs because her translator got really friendly with the race photographer), to the jewelry seller who thought he experienced the coldest weather (Igor beat him), to the tour guide at the airport who gave me fabulous photos of the Tetons. We will definitely go back.
Quotes of the month:
- "Wer bist du?" [Who are you?]: Ivan's query of random people in WY; he never got a response
- "Hallo, du bist Schwein?" [Hello, are you a pig?]: what Igor would like to ask