Sunday, August 6, 2006

Summer of the Big Book

Having finished Moby Dick (audiobook, Frank Muller's narration) and Edith Grosssman's translation of Don Quixote, I realized how this seems to be my summer of reading (or listening to) the big classics. I'm currently enjoying listening to Constance Garnett's translation of War and Peace, and reading E. H. Gombrich's The Story of Art.

I'm considering bringing along the Bible (New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition) to my Maine trip since I've never read the whole thing before. Other choices are Shakespeare and the following:

Robert Fagles' translations of Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey
John Ciardi's translation of of Dante's Divine Comedy
John Milton's Paradise Lost (due to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, of which I keep thinking)

One tiny book that I intend to purchase is Stephen's Mitchell's version of the Tao Te Ching. I may also get his version of Gilgamesh as well. Alas, one tiny book that I have given up reading (for now) is Jorge Luis Borges' Ficciones. Borges is more erudite than Italo Calvino, but not as engaging a storyteller.