I can't believe it, but Vanya is 11 months old today. He's not walking (unlike Nikita, who walked by the time he was 11 months old), but it could be because he can crawl really quickly (which I don't remember Nikita doing). He has 6 teeth, and may be teething. Perhaps two more teeth on the top (where he already has 4); I'm wondering whether just his top teeth will come in first. The two middle top teeth are huge.
I somehow missed the 10 month update, so everything will be mixed up. But he clapped for the first time two days ago. It's very cute. He has definite sounds for things: da-da when he's happy; ma ma when he's not.
Nikita, meanwhile, spend mornings with Igor reciting lines from the Russian comedy "Election Day". Think Monty Python, but in Russian. Nikita likes to draw letters, coming up with words like AFEN. Of course, he refuses to learn how to spell his own name. And when I cook in the kitchen, he insists on cleaning the sink. Yesterday, I let him peel a carrot (he doesn't understand the concept of turning the carrot) and wash dishes (which I then rewashed).
On the way home today, I'm supposed to pick up some cake from the Russian store (hopefully a Napoleon), not only because of Vanya's birthday, but also because Galina qualified for SSI. This makes her happy because she'll get a bigger monthly stipend. Otherwise, this week has been super crazy for me. I was supposed to receive 31 papers two days ago (of course, some are late); today I received 9 papers, and tomorrow, I'm to receive 17 more. And tomorrow, which is normally my free day, is filled with staff meetings.
The weather has been so warm lately (50's, some rain) that it's hard to believe we went cross-country skiing last Sunday. But we did, and it was wonderful. Even Galina enjoyed herself. I took photos with my cell phone, but who know when I'll download them.
Last tidbits: I was tempted to give up on The Feast of Love, but persevered, and am glad I did. The book actually got better (a rare event). In addition, I was a little disappointed with the primaries last Tuesday. I guess I just the nominations to be over, but here is an interesting Slate article on the dynamics. Finally, Igor can't believe how old McCain is (71). Igor thinks that a guy that old shouldn't be running for president but gardening or "sitting on the toilet" instead.