Last Saturday, Vanya finally walked more than a few steps. But it was a one-time event for the day. He's done it two more times since then, always in my presence, and sometimes with something in his mouth (a plastic spoon the first time). I think he basically can walk but doesn't want to. Perhaps because he's afraid that Nikita is going to knock him down (Nikita loves sitting right up against him). Perhaps because he's such a fast crawler. I never thought of him as more cautious than Nikita, but when Nikita took his first steps (a couple of days before he turned 11 months), he wouldn't stop trying.
A rare political moment: I'm not fond of the Fed bailing out Bears Stearns. But Obama's speech on race yesterday was fantastic. Take a listen (and view) - even just an excerpt. This is the first time I ever heard Obama speak (yes, I am quite out of politics these days), and I think I am a believer.