Thursday, March 26, 2009

Life since Puerto Rico

Has been pretty busy, as you can guess by the time it has taken me to update my blog. The spring semester started soon after we got back from our trip. Perfect time for a intestinal bug to hit the family: first Vanya in Puerto Rico, then Nikita on the flight back home (hence, very eventful), then the rest of us. Unlike the rest of the family, I didn't spend much time in the bathroom. I just had the chills; I wanted to sleep, and not eat at all. I actually came home early because I literally couldn't think straight, and found that Igor and Galina also couldn't get out of bed. Unfortunately, the boys were relatively well by that point!

We got over it, however, and luckily, my work didn't suffer too much. But then at the end of February, I learned that my effort (and salary) would be cut 10% in the next academic year. MIT is facing major budget cuts (15% budget reduction over the next three years), and my department got hit pretty bad. I was actually one of the lucky ones, all things considered: some were reduced 33%; part-time people got laid off. But this is just the beginning.

Combined with the expectation of Ivan starting school in a couple of years, I finally got off my butt and started looking for sources of extra income. Networked like crazy the first week of March, and it's starting to pay off. So much so that I probably will be working full-time over the summer: developing content for websites, teaching a technical writing course, writing a grant (or two). I'm also going to be a keynote speaker at a workshop - what am I going to talk about for 45 minutes? I'm actually excited about the jobs, and consider myself really blessed.

On top of all this, I had a conference mid-March in San Francisco where I presented a paper. The presentation went well. My co-panelists and I made some contacts, and got treated at a wine bar by our boss afterwards. And it was great to be back in the Bay Area. The first time I drove down 280 to visit friends in Palo Alto, I thought to myself: why did I ever leave this place? Of course, I don't think we'd be able to afford a house there, but that's another issue.

Although I didn't get a chance to go to Hobee's, I did try out In 'n Out (okay) and picked up a frosted mocha (as good as I remember) by my favorite bookstore in the whole world (still going strong!). I also met the fiancee of my brother, Mike (really nice!), and the children of my cousin Mike and some school friends. I felt most at home with when the children consisted of boys, and was really struck by how quiet girls are! Finally, I picked up some cool gifts, including a book on subway maps and an hors d'oeuvres/cheese plate made out of a wine bottle.

I was gone a total of 5 nights, and I was really scared about how things would be at home. Ivan was a terror at night (I still nurse him), and Galina declared a strike by the third day, but thankfully, the family stayed intact.

Speaking of home, Ivan's verbal ability has grown by leaps and bounds. Below is a list the most common words he can say now. I think he knows many words because he can repeat them. But he doesn't use them actively.

Tata: Nikita
Nya-nya: Vanya
Plapika: Babushka (I think because he reserves Baba for good-bye or Good Night)
Dere: there
Cookie: cookie, na corkey (on Igor's shoulders)
Ca: car, call, Karen (our neighbor)

Vanya is also a terror with music. I recently became a big fan of Amy Winehouse (it's the Motown sound - I hope I get to see her live before she OD's), and whenever I start a CD (usually while cooking), he'll come into the kitchen, and call out, "Coo coo!", which refers to a CD of German children's music - but he really wants one of the Disney children's CDs (which he'll point to; he likes #3 best at the moment). I wish I had a video recorder because he's so cute when he dances - especially the way he moves his hips from side to side.

Nikita, in the meantime, has become obsessed with building (as opposed to drawing). First, with the Lincoln logs he got for Christmas. Then, with the 400-piece K'nex set that Igor bought him while I was gone. He can put together really elaborate things now, using visual directions.

Nikita's latest video obsession is a Russian animated film called "Neznaika and Barabbas," which is not bad to listen to while I knit a Tree of Life afghan. But I'm really intrigued by Cookie A's new sock book. Not that I love knitting socks, but her socks are sculptural.