Nikita’s birthday was his first one to transition away from the family-only birthday. But for some reason, he didn’t want to invite his whole class. So, guests included my parents, my brother Vincent, Liz, and probably Nikita’s best friend from school, Luka:

The menu was determined by Nikita:
Me: Nikita, what do you want for your party?
Nikita: Um, I want roast beef, white salad (Galina's Salad Olivier), some juice, and maybe you can have some wine…
I guess he knows what kind of household he lives in! Rounding out the roast beef were mashed potatoes, the green bean casserole I made last Thanksgiving (why limit this delicious dish to once a year?), and Russian salads:

Dessert was chocolate pound cake with vanilla ice cream, though he had Boston Cream pie for his proper birthday:

And here he is again, waking up to his first electric train. Camera laid aside: