Saturday, April 21, 2012

March: no Legos, but lots of reading

Like the weather, Nikita's performances were mixed in March. His audition at a piano competition was disappointing, but he was able to take 3rd place at the Chess State Grade Championship. What really struck me, however, was he rarely built with his Legos. Instead, he used his free time to play new pieces on the piano or war with his brother. Given that Ivan makes only guns out of Legos, I wonder whether we are actually leaving the Lego phase. But I won't hold my breath.

Meanwhile, Ivan impressed me with his literary leanings. We "read" National Geographic together, and he actually "read" me I am a Bunny. Books are also creeping into his dramatic play: thanks to Russian war movies, Ivan insisted on showing me his "documents" (identification papers). What did he use? Shakespeare's Sonnets. In Russian.

March found me tearing through a book a week and experimenting in the kitchen. Highlights for the latter were Cook's Illustrated's chicken adobo and corned beef. I hope my Nana didn't turn in her grave when I added coconut milk to the adobo. I'd like to think, however, that she would be proud of the way I used up the leftover corned beef - including using some broth to make an awesome borscht. Thank you, Tamar Adler!

When I wasn't reading during my commute or cooking, I was working. I've never turnaround assignments so quickly. Somehow, I also got a chance to think about my job. The reflection was prompted by preparing an update for a reunion, as well as talks by people (Gael McGill, Vivian Siegel) who also use their Biology PhD's outside of the academic/industry track. I decided that although other jobs may sound cooler than my own, I'm satisfied for now. Why? Because I enjoy the daily routine.