Friday, September 28, 2012

Read-alouds for storytelling contests

When I was in elementary school, I participated in storytelling contests for which I had to memorize a children's book. I don't remember which stories I learned, but my favorite one (recited by a classmate) was Tikki Tikki Tembo by Arlene Mosel. The rhyming mesmerized me.

I'm sad that my boys' school doesn't sponsor such contests because reading to my boys has exposed me to a number of contest-worthy stories. Here are my current faves:
  • "The Sneetches" by Dr. Seuss (from this book). One can always count on Dr. Seuss for a good rhyme, but the rhymes in this story aren't forced. Indeed, the writing is quite conversational. The message doesn't hurt either.
  • A Fly Went By by Mike McClintock. This is another story that rhymes well and can survive without the illustrations. Rereading this story to Ivan today actually inspired this blog post because I was struck by how the tone of the story constantly changes between calm and frenzy. I think I was up to the task tonight: Nikita initially refused to listen ("the story is stupid"), but got sucked into the narrative.
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. Although this story doesn't rhyme, I like how directly the storyteller addresses the audience, nearly making the listener a partner. I also love the dramatic challenge of balancing rage with humor.