Saturday, September 1, 2012

SRK movie reviews (with songs!)

Yesterday, I picked up My Name is Khan from the library after looking at the Amazon reviews. The page made realize how much of this summer was spent watching SRK: I have seen most of the top recommendations! Indeed, Ivan wondered the other day why all the Bollywood movies I get have the same actor. So, I think it is time to review the films, in the order I saw them.

*****

Veer-Zaara (2004):
Although I wasn't quite convinced of the love between SRK's boy scout and Preity Zinta's spoiled brat, I was really impressed with SRK's acting as an older man. Plus the court scenes and plot twists in the second half are riveting. The movie definitely made me want to watch more of SRK's movies, and this video makes me want to go to India:



*****

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (A Match Made In Heaven, 2008):
I love this movie - very close second on my list - although I was shocked that I had to wait 30 minutes until the first musical number. I love the humor ("Punjab Power, lighting up your life!") and enjoy the glimpses into middle-class Indian life. Some say that this movie depicts a geeky man's dream, but I think it also caters to women who want a sexy yet sensitive man (who can dance!). SRK's acting, however, is the star here. Although the soundtrack only has 6 songs, it's hard for me to choose just one. So, I'll go with the video that pairs SRK with some of his past leading ladies and the catch-phrase of his character, Raj.



*****

Om Shanti Om (2007):
I chose this movie after RNBDJ because it also has a tribute to the Bollywood greats (not that I know the references, of course), and because the cover reminded me of Austin Powers. The movie, however, was a disappointment: the first half is too over-the-top for me; the second half is better, especially with Arjun Rampal as the villain. I also have to admit that this movie made me wonder whether SRK just likes to play two different characters in the same film - here separated by reincarnation. For the song, I'm going with another video that features a parade of current Bollywood stars.



*****

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (The Brave Heart Will Win The Bride, 1995):
I had high expectations for this movie: this classic movie established SRK and Kajol (the first cameo in the RNBDJ video) as Bollywood's most romantic couple, and shot the actors into superstardom. I couldn't get into the movie, however, because I wasn't convinced of their love for each other! Kajol's character is okay, but I found SRK's character in the first half annoying and the personality change in the second half too radical. I really like, however, the other characters and the soundtrack is wonderful; I often listen to it at work thanks to youtube. My boys love the fight scene at the end, and the piano playing at the beginning of this catchy tune:



*****

Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (Something Is Happening, 1998):
This movie is #1 on my list of SRK films: SRK and Kajol are fantastic as a couple here, and I love how their pairing is thwarted by the likes of Rani Mukherjee and Salman Khan. Rough life! Nearly everything about this movie works: characters, plot, songs. I was, however, wondering when I would see an independent Indian woman (Kajol seems to undergo a personality change in the second half), and became fascinated how the same actors are used to play the parents - but of different characters. My two favorite songs feature Salman Khan (here) and this song:



*****

Kal Ho Naa Ho (Tomorrow May Never Come, 2003):
Despite being made by Yash Raj films (the same people who did KKHH) and being set in NYC (aka, filmed in Toronto), the movie left me lukewarm. SRK's character is kind of unreal but a sweetheart; at least he doesn't have a personality change. I really like how Preity Zinta plays a working woman, but I don't understand what makes her character the center of a love triangle (and it's not because I was jealous). I also think there are too many subplots, and some of the musical numbers are too long. The dialogue, however, is witty and wicked fast - I had a tough time reading the subtitles for Ivan. For the video, I'm going to change the pace with the bittersweet title song:



*****

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (Sometimes Joy, Sometimes Sorrow, 2001):
This lush Yash Raj film pairs SRK with Kajol again, to great effect. In fact, I felt that this movie continues the KKHH storyline - even the characters' names are the same. I also loved the acting of the Bachchans, and the soundtrack is very good. The photography is opulent, but the film (at 211 min, long for even a Bollywood film) drags in the third quarter because I don't care for the Roshan-Kapoor pairing. The morals of the film are sometimes heavy-handed (BTW, do Indian men really cry?), but I definitely had tears in my eyes towards the end. This video has my favorite actors, and ends the post on an upbeat note:

I