Monday, June 30, 2008

Partying with Nikita

Not much chance to write. Not that there's much to report. Two weekends ago, Igor was in Chicago, working at the synchotron. A lot of work, not much sleep. But at least he got structure out of the trip. While he was gone, I took the boys and Galina (joined by my friend, Liz) to a strawberry festival at Wilson Farms. Yummy strawberries, but the prices were higher than I expected. We had a lovely picnic lunch, then hung out at the playground in a nearby school. Liz thoughtfully brought bubble toys, including a bubble-blower fan (for the truly lazy, she said).

The next day, I had two parties: a surprise baby shower for Bea, and a graduation party for Melissa. Bea's parties tend to coincide with other parties; the last time she had a party, it was her wedding, and I had another wedding to attend in Chicago the same day (I made both). Melissa's party at least was in Cambridge. Since the two parties took place late afternoon/early evening, I didn't get much of a chance to chat with people. Nikita enjoyed playing with the kids at Bea's party, but had a complete meltdown at Melissa's. I warned him that there wouldn't be kids, but he insisted on going. Last time (wishful thinking) I go against my better judgment.

Yesterday, Igor, Nikita, and I attended a barbecue held by one of my colleagues. Again, Nikita was antisocial - he barely made it past the front hallway. Don't know if it was because we woke him from his nap in the car (always a bad prospect) or because there weren't boys his own age. Probably a combination of both.

In between the parties, I've tried to keep the boys amused during a very humid week. Wednesday was the best day of the week, so we went to Walden Pond. The boys actually ate some lunch when we got there, then had a grand time splashing around in the water before the beach closed due to bacteria levels (yuck). A lot of people left after that, but we stayed because the boys enjoyed playing in the sand. On Friday, we met up with a former classmate of mine, Yukiko, and her lovely daughter, Sophia, at a Brookline playground. The playground is really nice because it's shady and has a fountain. Must remember to bring the bathing suits next time...