Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Four Menaces of Labor

Since a number of my friends (not just I!) will be having babies over the next few weeks, I thought I'd post some notes I took when I was pregnant with Nikita. The information is from Childbirth without Fear by Grantly Dick-Read, a fascinating book about childbirth.

When

Reason/Expression

What to do

1. First stage of Labor: Cervix is about halfway dilated (5 cm)

Woman panics because it has taken many hours to reach this stage.

· Reassure woman that she is doing well.

· Explain that the cervix will dilate much quicker.

2. Transition: Final dilation of the cervix

Acute backache in the sacrum or lower end of spine.

· Tell woman that the backache is TEMPORARY, will last only 9-12 contractions.

· Remind her to breathe slowly and deeply to stay relaxed.

· Relieve backache by firm rubbing or hard pressure on sacrum.

3. Second stage of Labor: Baby has reached the floor of the pelvis.

The woman desires “to escape” or says she has “had enough” because she feels resistance in the birth path.

· Remind woman that she is doing well.

· Tell woman that at the next contraction, she should concentrate and push firmly. Doing this will distend pelvic floor and passage will be much easier.

4. Crowning: Baby is now visible, stretching out the vulva.

Vulva is burning; woman may contract her pelvic muscles because she feels like she is about to burst or tear.

· Reassure woman that she will not burst.

· Remind woman to relax pelvic muscles and to NOT push. The baby will come out very soon, and the vulva will feel anesthetized as it stretches out even more.

· Tell woman to breathe in and out rapidly during contractions.