Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Books for Baby

Books I own, and still use for Nikita:
  • Baby Bargains: If you thought weddings were a scam, wait until you have a baby! The authors have a similar book for toddlers, but I'm not sure how useful it is except for maybe a potty.
  • Read-Aloud Handbook: Some of the suggestions for books don't work for me (and I'm shocked my edition doesn't list the next book), but this book is still a wonderful resource.
  • The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury: Nikita rediscovered this book (again) today; he calls it "The Big Book". Hands-down my favorite for bedtime reading.
  • Oppenheim Toy Portfolio: the authors also maintain this website.
  • Super Baby Food: making your own baby food is a lot easier than you think - and cheaper, too! The book also has a bunch of ideas on how to make your own toys and crafts. I also found this website to be useful for homemade baby food. In particular, there is a schedule of what to introduce when.
  • Einstein Never Used Flash Cards: With all the pressure to make geniuses out of babies (Mozart, anyone?), this book is really refreshing.
Books I borrowed from the library, but will not buy:
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The 5 s's provide the key to calm your baby: swaddling, side/stomach position, shushing, swinging and sucking. If I remember correctly, Karp's swaddling technique really works, but the Miracle Blanket is easier to use and as effective. Karp's white noise CD, however, did not work with Nikita and drove me nuts. I also didn't think much of his book on toddlers.
  • Infant Massage: I copied one page (I'm pretty sure it's from this book!) that lists a 5 minute massage routine that I used to give Nikita after his bath. I don't remember the routine at the moment, but I remember the oil I used: almond or apricot bought in bulk from my local health food store.
  • Sign with Your Baby: This book uses American Sign Language. I do own flash cards, but only now (when he's talking) does Nikita get into them.
Books I intend to purchase:
  • Nursing Mother's Companion: breast feeding didn't work out for me and Nikita, but a friend of mine says this book was the most helpful for her.
  • The Diaper-Free Baby: I loved the sling with Nikita (first the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder, then the Maya Wrap). Why not go all the way with natural parenting? This book is reassuring because it doesn't tell you that you have to watch your baby 24/7 - even occasionally, i.e. an hour a week, watching your baby for signs of elimination will help. The point is communication, not catching everything.