Sunday, March 11, 2007

Galina is home

And just in time, too. Nikita has been acting really strangely the past couple of days. On Friday, he must have spend half the morning crying hysterically for one reason or another - like not joining him at the window to watch our street - and Saturday morning, he wouldn't let me leave the living room. And don't ask me how many times I've had to listen to Paul Dukas's "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". Luckily, I've been getting stronger: I'm able to be on my feet for longer periods of time (not that it helps with the Dukas piece). But I have even more respect now for stay-at-home moms of small children - and for my mother-in-law!

Attending to my recently clingy toddler has not given me much time to do much else. For example, I'm STILL working on a gauge swatch for the Baby Surprise Jacket (the first set of needles I used turned out to be too small). But I did spend International Women's Day reading The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis. Somewhat fitting because the book is about a female chess prodigy. I started the book in the middle of the night, and could not put it down during the day. Although there were some unrealistic features (the apolitical nature of competitive chess, the ability of the protagonist to wander around Soviet Moscow unattended), the story of this chemically-dependent genius orphan was very compelling. Yeah, I know what you're thinking: a book about chess? Trust me, even though I knew how the tournaments were going to turn out and skimmed the details of the chess moves, I was still riveted.

My OB appointment last Wednesday showed my cervix is still closed at 34 weeks - such a relief. The news gave me the confidence to hang out with Nikita outside Thursday afternoon. Despite the frigid temperatures (20's F), it was really good to go out for a short walk with Nikita, i.e., to the end of the block and back. Luckily, Nikita doesn't walk very quickly either, but it was strange seeing how big I've become in my winter overcoat (yes, it still fits). And on Friday, the lab where Igor works (and where I did my thesis work) held a toast for me and my friend Elizabeth, who is a post-doc in the lab and also due in the spring. Nikita was totally shy at first (would not leave Igor's arms), but eventually warmed up. The Legos my thesis advisor keeps in her office really helped. Nikita also had fun playing with Elizabeth's 1-year old daughter, Jane. Jane actually kissed Nikita, which didn't affect him at all. But then everyone made such a big fuss about it, so he refused to be kissed by her again.

Other things that have been on my mind recently:
  • Elimination communication. I've been skimming books on how to raise a baby without diapers (see DiaperFreeBaby.org). Recently, Nikita's been fighting over diaper changes, which makes me despair about him ever getting toilet-trained. I know it will happen one day...perhaps when he sees me "train" his infant sibling. Well, I can dream...
  • Christmas ornaments. Perhaps it's because Galina bought some (breakable) ornaments from Moscow. So, I probably won't put them up until the kids are 10. Which reminded me of the idea I had of making my own ornaments. I was originally thinking of knitting mementos of our family (one for each year since Igor and I bought the house in 2002), but then I came upon the quicker (and probably cheaper) idea of making Shrinky Dinks. Other sources of shrink film: Dick Blick and your recycling bin. I don't know what keeps me up more: these ideas, or following them up on the Internet.
  • Daylight savings time. I better get back to sleep since I've already lost an hour.