Don't seem to go together. 10 hours after he was born, Nikita had one blue spell too many, and he was whisked off to the NICU for 9 days. One year later (this past Sunday), he runs a temperature (for the first time!) of 102.7 for no apparent reason. Thankfully, he slept well once I administered Tylenol. And at yesterday's (serendipitously scheduled) well visit , the nurse ruled out an ear infection and a bacterial cause. So, it's probably a virus that will have to run its course.
His birthday dinner went well. We were joined by my parents, the family of Nikita's godfather, and Nikita's thea (aunt) Liz (a doctor who thankfully brought a digital thermometer from the hospital because the battery of ours died). We had a lovely salad prepared by Galina (the cherry tomatoes from Russo's were actually tasty, which was good given the price!), some yummy cold cuts from Berezka (local Russian store), chard & sorrel soup, and salmon stroganoff as the main course. Accompanied by a Spanish white wine and a red Georgian wine.
The soup, from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, was delicious, especially with the addition of chopped hard-boiled egg. Igor said it was good, but only the next day because he claims he was too drunk to appreciate it during dinner. The salmon, from my standby On Rice, turned out well thanks to my mom who saved the dish. I have cooked this dish nearly every other week, and wouldn't you know it - the first time I do it for guests, I oversalt the fish. My mom soaked the fish in 3 changes of water, and I added lemon juice to the broth to cut down the saltiness (a tip from The New Making of a Cook).
The ice-cream birthday cake from Herrell's went over REALLY well: black raspberry & French vanilla layers separated by Hydrox cookies. Igor, his mom, and I personally selected the flavors. Somebody had to do it. Nikita tried the cake the next day, but he didn't seem too interested in the ice-cream. I'm attributing it to his illness.